"Wippen" (was "Whippen" cords)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:47:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/00 5:54:53 PM Central Daylight Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

<< << List,
  I need to replace a few of the threads that attach to the whippen springs
  on an old English grand. Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of thread
  or string is most appropriate? The supply houses sell silk cord, is this
  better than regular thread or string or nylon line? Is CA glue good to glue
  them on, or is hide glue better? Thanks, as always for your opinions.
  Keith Jones Piano Tuning
  kjones@well.com >>

 This is not one of those super critical repairs. You can use ordinary
thread,
 although silk will probably last a little longer. I wouldn't use nylon. And
 you can use CA glue, or wood glue, if you don't have hide glue ready to go.

 By the way, the contraption to which you are referring is called a wippen,
 not a whippen. There is not such thing as a whippen, although youngsters
used
 to get a whipp'n when they misbehaved. (But then in my dictionary, there is
 no such thing as a wippen, either.)

 Willem

Although I usually don't answer rebuilding and most repair questions, I have
a reason for answering this one.  I'm glad Wim pointed out the spelling
issue.  I have long been interested in English nomenclature regarding Piano
Technology but French and Spanish as well.  Good spelling, grammar and
sentence structure are important on a List like this one because people from
anywhere and everywhere can and do read it.

If we want the excellent knowledge about Piano Technology that is generated
here to be properly understood and interpreted into their respective
languages by Europeans and Asians who read the List, we have to do our best
to use good English and be consistent with nomenclature and its spelling.  I
personally have run into the dilemma of not being able to find the Spanish
and French Equivalents of certain very common piano parts, namely "whippen"
and "flange".  Believe me, there are plenty more and in other areas besides
parts and their functions.  "Well-Temperament" for example, does not
translate properly into either Spanish or French.

It came to light a few years ago (and was written up in the Journal) that the
word which has most often been spelled, "whippen" comes from a German verb
(not the name of an object but a word describing an action) which means "to
rock", "wippen".  In German, the "W" is pronounced as a "V" is in English, so
the word in German sounds like "Vippen".

Many words used in Piano Technology came out of factories in which there were
people using mixtures of language.  An example would be the German makers and
craftsmen who went to England, the United States and Canada.  Somehow, the
English speaking workers and the Germans would learn to understand each
other, each learning a bit of the other's language.

The present day thinking is that this word should be spelled, "Wippen" but it
is also recognized that the word has often been spelled with the "h"
inserted.  The abbreviation, "Whips" is also commonly used to refer to a set
of them.  It would seem to me that if "Wippen" is correct, then a good
abbreviation for a set of them  would be, "Wips", not "Whips", although I
have never seen the word, "Wips" in print.

As for the chords, I agree with Wim (not "Whim"), basically.  I highly advise
using the silk cord from the Supply House.  Any repair to a piano should be
thought of as needing to last a very long time, say a minimum of 30 years.
The silk cord is very strong and lasts very long.  Only if you are sure about
the longevity and strength of another material, should you use it.  I don't
know why Wim disrecommends Nylon but perhaps it is for these reasons.

As for the adhesive, CA glue would be overkill if you were doing a complete
set.  For just a few however, you can get the immediate cure and strength you
need for minor repairs.  It is costly compared to other glues and is
hazardous and fumes from its use are irritating and toxic.  Unless you use
gloves to do the job, you will get it all over your fingers.  It will take a
soaking in acetone to get the crust off.  You don't need Hot Hide glue either
although using a thin preparation of it would do the job very well.  It will
set quickly as it cools.

You can use just plain White glue, such as Elmer's that you can get anywhere
and cheaply.  It is not toxic and will clean off of your fingers easily.
There will be some set time involved though.  Working in a warm environment
and letting the glue set up at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight
will make sure that the bond is strong and cured before you try to install
the piece and hook up the spring.  The strength that common White glue has is
more than adequate to hold that chord in place.  It just has to be evenly,
thoroughly, consistently and carefully applied and allowed to set and cure in
order to avoid future failure.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin