Enlightenment

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:32:10 -0700

At 03:59 PM 09/24/2000 -0700, Tom wrote:
>Excellent question, Diane. I think that there's more reason than profit
>that the accelerator is a chemical not found under (or in) your kitchen
>sink. I've tried plain water and it just makes a mess. There's no
>chemical reaction.

I find that the instant (NOW!!!) bond isn't necessary. I've
also read here that the bond isn't as firm if it is formed too
quickly. If I want to speed up adhesion and haven't used white
glue, I breathe on the work. (Does that make me a heavy breather?)

>Susan Kline discovered that white glue seems to do the job of
>reattaching keytops, Elmer's on one part and CA on the other. Anyone for
>doing some scientific research?

Actually, for keytops I use the CA plain. Oregon is humid
enough that they set up fine, especially since CA has an
affinity for organic material. Ivory is organic, wood is
organic, and hide glue (what original adhesive remains)
is organic. I use the CA and Elmer's frequently for other
work, like action parts, rubber buttons (it is great for
rubber buttons!) and cloth. You put the CA on the harder
surface, and the Elmer's on the cloth, because it doesn't
wick in as far. Donnie Byrd used CA and Titebond to hold
on a set of new plastic keytops in Cuba, which is about
as challenging an environment as you are likely to find,
and when she returned a year later they were all still on.
(At that point I just wave my hands in the air and shout,
"YES!!!")

Susan