pedal boards

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:34:33 EDT

I couldn't resist coming out of my hole (trying to finish my Master's degree
this year) on this one.  The pedal board piano which I have seen was at one
of the universities I have served.  I am pretty sure it was a Hazelton
upright.  If I remember correctly, holes were drilled through the bottom
board to accomodate the pedal board, and through the keybed to accomodate the
long dowels connecting the pedals to the appropriate keys.  Old tired
steel-wound strings must have given special meaning to the term
"pedal-point."

When the school went with a lease program 12 years ago this piano slipped
away before I realized it;  the current organ instructor was doing her
master's degree there at the time, and now we are both a bit nostalgic about
the piano (whose pedals remain in a basement at the school, I think).  But it
is a novelty whose main advantage lies in the possibility of organ pedal
practice without the organ (and the required space).  If you want an organ to
practice on at home, buy an old Allen with full AGO pedals.  Either way, if
you are middle aged like me the left hand/feet synapses will remain highly
resistant to electrical flow.

How do you value a pedal piano?  Take a standard approach to valuing the
instrument, and make an assessment of the value of the whole package.
Besides the fact that it is primarily a novelty, it is not a particularly
complicated device, easily duplicable, which may not enhance its value.  But
the existence of the Internet may enhance its value, as long as you can get
the right key words for someone looking for such a beast.

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 9/24/00 7:53:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,