"Wippen" (was "Whippen" cords)

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:17:48 -0700

Bill,

Yep, that's the origin, all right, but if we now consider it an English word,
there is no standard spelling, because no authoritative decision has been made in
this regard.  I prefer to ditch the "h" out of respect for the origin, but the
word appears in no standard dictionary, which is pretty astounding if you ask
me.  I don't know of any other entire word (not merely a usage or definition)
that has been around 150 years and yet escaped the Oxford English Dictionary.  (I
sent them an e-mail but got no response.)

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA