"Wippen" (now off topic fer sher!)

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:20:24 -0500

Larry,

At 00:25 09/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I have to add this:
>In Canada, we have a prime minister who is known for not being fluent in
either of our two official languages: French or English!  Does this mean in
Canada we speak Franglais?
>Larry Beach, RPT, Vancouver, BC Canada.

Yes, grasshopper, many Canadien speak Franglais, and have for many years.
Way back at Expo '67 in Montreal I gave directions to a Parisian woman, who
commented that I was the first person she had understood since she had
arrived in Canada. (My teachers/professors had all been Parisian)  My
Haïtien friend's French was equally indecipherable by all.

English doesn't have the monopoly on linguistic diversity.

Conrad

©Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.
He who laughs last found another meaning.