"Wippen" (was "Whippen" cords)

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:05:33 +0930

Hi Bill,

Being Australian and speaking English (Australian English or not) sometimes
has its problems to.  You see because I originally came from South Australia
(born there) I have often been accused of being English.  Just by the
"correct way we speak" ?  Some times I feel that Australians speak a more
correct form of English than the English do. But, of course in England they
do not only speak English but Welsh, Scot, Irish, Cockney plus another dozen
or so different languages which they can't understand themselves. Not
dialects but languages. Still it is English I am talking about.
Since we in Aussie land find that the Americans also speak a different
English the English.  The written word is often shortened, pronunciation has
been altered and sometimes even the meaning of the word has changed.
Thus, I ask you, since our language started in England do you mean

" I have also been amazed at how the British express nearly 90% of Piano
Nomenclature differently from the way Americans do."
or
I have also been amazed at how the Americans express nearly 90% of Piano
Nomenclature differently from the rest of the English speaking world. ?

Coming from a Country like Australia where we get an abundance of both
cultures floating around our shores, we have become quite accustomed to
listening to both languages but personally I can never understand why all
the American guys remark about "that lovely bit of a arse" (pronounced ass)
I always thought that most American were straight.