Steinway bushings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:26:09 EDT

Don writes:
> A fellow colleague proteked the hammer and whippen flanges of a
>new Steinway only to have them completely seize up resulting in the need
>to  repin the whole darn works.  So.....is the bushing cloth used on these
> instruments treated with Emeralon which reacts adversely to Protek?

 Greetings,
    I don't know what is in them, but siezed bushings is a recurrent problem
in the new Steinways.  On factory recommendation,  I treated a set of 4 year
old hammer bushings with straight alcohol,(methanol, from the pharmacy).  The
next day, half of them were wobbly so I repinned the entire 88.
   I now repin when there is a problem in the new bushings,  it is the ONLY
way I have found to KNOW that the problem is corrected.
Regards,
Ed Foote  RPT