Teflon and polymer fume fever

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:13:20 -0400

In other words, don't smoke while applying this stuff.  Paper burns at 451
degrees F and small amounts of the dust in the air could be heated by the
ember. (Thanks Ray Bradbury for that piece of trivia.)  I certainly hope no
one still smokes around the customers piano anyway. <grin>  Seriously
though, you might want to make sure that you burn shanks before applying
Teflon.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Director - TEAM20001
July 2001 - Reno, NV
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.equaltemperament.com/ptg/
Director: Laura Olsen, RPT
Assistant Directors: Allan Gilreath, RPT - Gary Neie, RPT - Vince Mrykalo,
RPT - Dale Probst, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Larry
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 3:38 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Teflon and polymer fume fever

I believe that when Teflon is heated, some fluoric acids may be produced
which cause the flu like symtoms.  I don't see how a piano technician is
going to use Teflon when heated to 400 C (750 F).  (Does any one know what
temperatures automobile engines reach?)  Anyway, I could believe that the
dust itself could trigger allergy like symptoms just like any other dust
irritant.  Personally I try to avoid breathing any kind of dust, whether it
is normal house dust, sawdust, or Teflon.

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver, BC, Canada