Ear plugs

Victor Belanger vbela@MIT.EDU
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:09:16 -0400

I also use the 15db reduction plugs. Have been for 5 years. I especially
use them for practice rooms, and smaller upright, as they tend to have a
brighter tone to them.

They say that the db's on spinets are pretty powerful. I am not sure if it
is because of the higher mid frequencies are more pronounced.

It took a while to get used to them. Especially in someones house. Some ask
about them, and some don't. If they do I just explain to them that a
certain amount of db (I usually say around the 80 to 90db) is produced
times 200 tuning pins. That pretty much covers it.

I find that ear fatigue has been greatly reduced and that when the day is
over I am not as exhausted.

My reasoning for using them was by talking to some technicians that has
perceived some damage in the higher frequencies. I was scared to think of
it.
I do not use them for concert work. Sometimes if I don't use them, I notice
that a ringing sound is constantly with me for a while, as if I have gone
to a rock concert. That is a sign that my hearing has been affected. Just
the more proof that I should be using them.

Victor Belanger RPT
Somerville, MA