Aural? (self-starters)

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:46:47 -0400

I started with a Strob-o-conn in '75. My tunings sounded like an old
Hammond Organ, accurate, but lifeless.  In a short time I was using the
Strobe for temperment only.  Then in '82 by the Grace of the Lord the
Strobe died slowly,  and I learned to set temperment  by correcting first
one bad note, then two, then three or four, then the wheel quit
completely.

I did get some coaching and encouragement from Binghamton Guild Pres. Ed
Pettingill, and my wife's uncle let me watch him tune and borrow his
tools.

It's been aural up hill ever since.

Average tuning, 35 to 45 minutes, with pretty fussy checking.  But my
muting techniques are what I think are very efficient, time saving, and
leave a solid tuning.  (Two 100's, the rest All 90's except for one area
in my tuning test, I was reading a book when the testers came back.)

Roger C. Hayden, RPT
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.