ivory grain

Todd L Mapes foxmeadow@juno.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:55:35 -0500

David,

You might test this idea against some of the more expert opinions, but
recently I needed to bleach out a set of keys, and they were pretty
smooth to start with.  I used the 2-part wood bleach from the home
improvement store at the suggestion of someone on the list (Newton?) and
the keys came out very white with a VERY pronounced grain.  I was
shooting for a smooth finish, but the grain was raised to such an extent
that I ended up wet sanding, then going to steel wool and then buffing to
get smooth again.  So, you might try bleaching the keys out, that could
possibly make the grain more pronounced and whiten them at the same time.

Todd L. Mapes
PTG Associate Member
Fort Smith, AR

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:29:16 GMT "David Love" <lovedg@hotmail.com>
writes:

> The original question was how do you raise the grain on an ivory in
> the
> event that you want a very pronounced grain.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.