Scale design question

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:29:09 -0600

I have noticed recently that the Baldwin 243 studio, the Boston UP-118S
studio, the George Steck studio, the Steinway 45 studio, a Kawai studio
(model number unkown) and the Yamaha P-22 (if I remember correctly) all
have the first plain steel wire on the treble bridge starting at note D#3.

There are several other sizes of pianos that have similarities in scale
design.  For instance the Steinway D and several other large grands have
the lowest plain steel wire at note F2.

Is there a reason for having these similarites in the scale design?  Did
these companies all copy the same design?  Or is it just because for a
given size of piano there is an ideal maximum string length and diameter
for the lowest plain steel string?

Thanks!
David A. Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano Technician