OT: Prison labor/Ain't life complex

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:54:44 -0400

Well I know we were all hoping to put this off topic to bed, but
today's Boston Globe has a feature story on "Captive Commerce." No,
they're not writing about laogai in China, but the Billerica House of
Correction (and other prisons across the state).  Mattresses,
pillows, and laundry bags are being stitched by convicts just a few
miles from me, for which the inmates get paid $3.75 a day.And over in
Framingham they're making US flags (tiny ones up to 10 by 12 -foot
ones).

No, they're not "prisoners of conscience." It's a low security "House
of Correction," so they're in for driving while drunk (for the
zillionth time), possession of controlled substances, burglary, and
other anti-social behavior.

Even so, that "Proudly Made in America" label may not always mean
somebody out in suburbia is enjoying a "good job at a good wage" as a
result.

In the meanwhile, let's all of us behave, and enjoy the good wages
and good works which our trade allows.

Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA