Decoupler tale

Ken Jankura kenrpt@cvn.net
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:29:31 -0400

Dear List,
  I always like coming up with ideas to make certain tasks we do as =
technicians easier and more efficient, and, if I may, I like to share my =
latest with you today. But let me tell you the evolution of my new =
technique.=20
   We all have to take touchweight measurements on an entire keyboard =
from time to time, and what a chore it can be. It's not that the work is =
so difficult, but for me it's the stress brought on by what I call 'the =
uncertainty factor', that is, knowing how often and how hard to tap the =
keybed to break that pesky static friction. The situation reminds me of =
that old TV commercial from the 60's, debating whether to use Ex-Lax or =
prunes for constipation, and the concerned housewife remarks, "With =
prunes I'm never sure, are 2 enough, are 6 too many?" I find myself in a =
similar quandary tapping the keybed. Richard Davenport, in the PTJ of =
Feb, 1999, used a swinging mallet contraption to tap his action model =
experiment in a controlled and repeatable way. He called it the 'static =
friction inertia decoupler'. I like to think that I've come up with the =
Ex-lax of static friction inertia decouplers; smooth, fast acting, =
reliable, and completely safe.
   I stopped at a yard sale a while back and spied an old game that I =
remember from my youth. It's the one where the metal gameboard is a =
football field and you set up the little football players on the field, =
and then turn it on, and the whole surface vibrates, and the players =
move forward (or whichever direction they are facing) and the object is =
to strategize and set them up in a way that allows your designated =
ball-carrying player to break free and score a touchdown.  Anyway, I had =
a flash of inspiration when I saw that game, as well as a plunge into =
the wellspring of nostalgia, and I thought, "here's my ticket to static =
friction inertia decoupling nirvana". Next chance I got, I C-clamped it =
to the side of a grand keyframe, set up the players (for fun), and, with =
my gram weights at the ready, turned it on. All I can say is 'Wow'. That =
gentle vibrating action was just the ticket to keep those keys moving =
freely. No tapping guesswork necessary. There were two problems, though. =
One was that I kept getting distracted by the game, trying to figure out =
strategy for my next play, and two, the vibration seemed to be a little =
too strong in the treble where the gameboard was clamped, and not quite =
strong enough in the bass. I did consider getting another game and =
clamping it to the bass end of the action, but, 1) my regulating table =
isn't long enough, 2) I thought it would just add to the problem of =
distracting me by trying to play two games at once, and 3) the beat rate =
produced by the vibrating oscillations of the two games might throw both =
the strategy of the game play and the gentle quality of the static =
friction inertia decoupling right out the window. So, back to the =
drawing board.
   At the local Goodwill store, I had another one of those flashes, as =
if of inspiration, when I saw a brown naugahyde Barca-lounger with =
Magic-Fingers. It was kind of worn out for $50, but what convinced me to =
get it was the built-in heater. I purchased it and moved it to my shop =
and got to work. I built some brackets and attached them to the =
underside of an old table top from an office desk, then I attached the =
table top permanently to the arms of the Barca-lounger. You have to =
squeeze in from the top or scrunch in from underneath, but once you're =
there, buddy, it's the easy seat. I crank up the built-in heater and =
start those Magic Fingers, and, I could take touchweight measurements =
all day, every day. The chair has two vibration settings, and I use =
both, as necessary. If it is an old piano action with flat, crusty, =
graphited knuckles, I run it on high. If it's a reconditioned one with =
smooth, round, tefloned knuckles, low speed seem to work just fine. Nice =
even vibration from bass to treble, no stressful tapping guesswork, and =
best of all, the added bemefit of no more nagging backaches. One tip for =
those who try this, you will need to put little neoprene washers on the =
bottom of your gram weights to keep them from sliding off the key, or, =
as I like to think of it, 'getting tackled' :-). So when I'm in my shop =
these days, you can find me either honing my set-up strategy on the =
electric football game, or relaxing and taking trouble free touchweight =
measurements on piano actions. Last week I even gave a discount to =
someone whose action came in only for key bushings, just because I knew =
I would want to take touchweight measurements for fun, and I would  feel =
like I had been to the spa afterward. These are the kind of benefits I =
like to pass back to the customer, whenever possible.
   Well, my back feels a little stiff, guess I should go out to the shop =
and do a little "work" til I feel better. You all have a great day.

Ken Jankura=20
Newburg, PA