Pleyel action

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 00:32:50 EDT

In a message dated 3/31/01 7:03:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
algiers_piano@bellsouth.net writes:

> Hey list, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with an 1890's
> Pleyel, Wolff et Cie English style action. It is not the french double
> escapement type you would expect but rather a looks like a variation on the
> Broadwood style jack action with added, confusing adjustments. There is an
> apparent let off rail on the keypoard side of the hammer rail but also an
> internal (under the hammer rail) button as well as what looks like a drop
> screw.The jack tail seems to be made up of two parts, one above the other.
> I pulled the action out of curiosity, it is working well and I was tuning
> under some time pressure so didnt get a great look but enough to know I
> hadnt seen one like this before. The piano is in great shape, 3/4 plate
> with the braces bolted together, over strung and little top hat looking
> over dampers. Anyone familier with these?
>

> --
> Dave
>

> -----------------------------
> Dave Doremus RPT
> New Orleans
> algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
> ------------------------------

I have a client with a Pleyel Grand, circa 1885-1890. She purchased it in
France. I believe this particular Pleyel had oblong or 1/0 tuning pins
(sorry, I cannot remember-the grey hairs do it to me once in awhile).  The
damper system had glued damper flanges, meaning you must remove the dampers
and the damper tray in order to service them. The piano needs rebuilding
(very loose tuning pins) but she calls me from time to time to touch up the
notes she cannot stand when they slip. I only do this because I know that in
time, she will have me rebuild it.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR