HEX Core Inharmonicity

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:29:12 +0200

Hey there Tony... and all you others who were just itching to reply on this one
but were too busy with Commies and Californians to be able to find the time....
grin....

Found out basically what I needed to resolve the issue... but not enough to
satisfy my own curiousity. Inharmonicity is higher in Hexcore bass strings then
in round core. Tho I am not really clear on why. And I sure would like to know
more about it. Have looked in all 5 of my books on Piano physics,,, ,nothing..
McMorrow makes no mention of it, and I dont think Reblitz does either.  Couldnt
find anything in the old transcripts from that famous meeting at the turn of the
century (1900s).... and nothing specific in the archives.

Have a hint about something Fenner mentioned about the air space between the
winding and the hex core.... but .... not really sure how to interpret that...
on the surface of things that would seem to me to make the string tend towards
being less stiff... which would raise the inharmonicity..... but...

If anyone has a real good explanation I would appreciate very much hearing it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.