Fw: Bridge caps

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:31:38 -0700

Roger Jolly Writes

> Now all this talk about pin stability has me thinking,  the next old
junker
> that I get that needs a bridge cap, I'm going to use some varnish as a
> driving fluid for the pins. It works well with tuning pins, why not bridge
> pins????????  The pin should drive easier, less stress around the
hole?????
>  Will it help to seal the end grain of the hole and improve stability?????
> Am I nut's? probably.
>
> More questions than answers I'm afraid.
> Have a good one.
> Roger

   Hi Roger'
    All good questions. Now I have some.  I've wondered about driving fluids
as well but have not used them.  I'm using buldoc/stwy blocks in all
stwys/Rebuilds and the pins are hard to drive and no matte how consistently
I drill I.E. same speed,pressure and air cooling there will always be some
tortional inconsistencies.  That being said I mostly like how they tune.
   My question is this. For those of you who are using maple blocks and
driving fluids ,do you think it affects tuning smoothness, changes tortional
values or is it just a way to make driving a pin easier.  My srtinger(Terry)
is a little five ft. Italian gal and although plenty fiesty would appreciate
any help in the  driving each new One ought pins into freshly bored maple.
  Also if driving fluid changed slightly the pin torque and allowed for
smoother rendering that would be fine. The finest tuning piano in the world
is an old steinway thats never yet been restrung. You know the kind ,well
preserved and unadulterated.  The pin torque is so even and the tuning ends
up being so stable because the pin doesn't wrestle with the tuner!!!!
       What solution is used and the how application is made and when is
also a huge part of the info. I,m seeking.

 There that about covers it for now
               Best
               Dale Erwin