Bridge pins.

Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:06:50 +0200

> >I am working on a 1994 Petrov console. I am getting false beats in several
> >notes from the treble break and up due to loose bridge pins. When I first
> >serviced the piano 6 months ago, I told the client to seal off a heat
> >register that is 3 feet from the piano. When I serviced it today the
> >register was open and the piano was 5 cents flat.
> >I am contemplating putting in a damp chaser, (it would be my first.) My
> >question is: Would getting the humidity up correct the loose bridge pin
> >problem or will I have to resort to more drastic measures to get rid of the
> >false beats?
> >Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> >
> >Louis Verkoelen

I think at this point the installation of Dampchaser probably wont help much.
Damp Chaser is like preventative medisin. Its not really meant to cure an acute
disease. That being said it may help a little, and will probably help to prevent
further damage quite a bit.

Petrofs are famouse for this kind of falsebeating. I would love to see Nossaman
or Overs or Fandrich tear one of these things apart and give us a readout on
material quality and workmanship. In anycase I suspect the bridge capping
material is at fault in some sence.. or perhaps they are just downright too
sloppy in installation of the bridge pins.. God knows they are usually all over
the place.

I have quited them up quite a bit by the CA treatment. I suppose this is best
for most situations dealing with pianos of this price range.

But by all means.. Damp Chasers are great products.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.