To tune or not to tune?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:02:38 EDT

<<In each case, I left without

tuning.  How can I avoid this in the future?  Is there a number of years-old

that you will not go out for a tuning?  How do I  weed out the tunable

pianos from the un-tunable pianos on the phone?>>

Danged Phil 3 in one day....who did you make mad at you? :-)

 You can't weed these thingees out on the phone and if you try you will lose
customers that you could have served very easily.

 One thing that I do/did was try to determine how long since it was last
tuned, what cabinet size it was, any known problems, etc.,.......if I had
'any' inkling that it might be untunable I would state my policy of charging
a service fee whether it was tunable or not. This tends to weed out those
customers who want a "rebuild" for a tuning fee. We can't afford to throw
away a full day because of nontuneables and expect to stay in business very
long....at least not profitably. :-)
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)