To tune or not to tune?

EIPIANO@AOL.COM EIPIANO@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:20:18 EDT

"Notes of a Piano Tuner" What a wonderful book and one that certainly struck
a chord (pun intended) with me.  I hope someday to write one on the Pianos
found in the West:

While traveling and working remote and rural communities (working as a
geologist, not a technician), I have been in the habit of visiting the local
Community or Senior Center, strike up a conversation and end up "tinkering"
with the inevitable old upright.

On occasion I will end up spending the better part of the
afternoon....talking, explaining pianos and show how they work. And listen to
lots of "the-piano-that-I-used-to-have " stories.  Always ends up with
referrals to every piano owner in town !!  Every old piano is a Treasure to
the owner and anything that can be done is usually appreciated.

I had one elderly woman sit a horrible beast which had been wrestled to at
least something chromatic.  She struggled through a piece which turned out to
be FUR ELISE.  When she finished, her friends gave a round of applause and
she turned to me with misty eyes and said "I haven't played a piano since I
was a little girl...Thank You".

Try to put a dollar sign in front of that folks !!

                 Walter Slack, PTG Associate
                 Amargosa Valley, Nevada