heater bar question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:40:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/01 11:53:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> Howdy all,
>
> A customer posed a rather interesting question regarding a heater bar.
> I was there to tune his acrosoic, and noticed that in the past 6 mo. since
> tuned it last, that the pitch had gone 22C SHARP! So after explaining the
> "pitch adjustment" procedure, and cost (1/2 my tuning fee), I proceeded
> with
> the tuning. After i was finished i recommended a Heater bar & humidistat,
> since he lives so close to the beach, higher humidity is the only real
> concern, and that a heater bar placed inside his piano, with a humidista,
> would keep his piano much more stable, and far less prone to excessive
> pitch
> fluctuations. He gladly agreed; But then a thought came over him and he
> asked: "Since you tuned the piano to normal pitch, at the present higher
> humidity, isn't it likely that it will go flat after the bar is installed
> and removes the excess moisture?" Hmmm, good questio, I thought. He didn't
> really seem too worried about it, but just wondered, so I said that in the
> week or two that it'll take before i get the bar & humidistat here and
> installed, the pitch will likely "creep" up a tad, so it should all balance
> out. I did tell him that if he notices any errant notes that may go out
> within a month or two that i would come back and smooth them out, no
> charge.
> Just wondering how any othe list members would've handled this matter.
> thanks!
>
> Terry Peterson

Terry:

The heater bar will effect the tuning. Whenever I install a Dampp-Chaser, I
tell the customer that about 3 or 4 weeks after it is installed the piano
should be tuned again. Now you can either include the price of another tuning
in with the price of the damp chaser, or tell the customer you need to be
paid for that tuning.

Since a lot of customers don't want to pay for another tuning so quickly, I
usually recommend that a damp chaser be installed at the time the piano needs
to be tuned again, in 6 months or a year.  I then schedule the installment,
and the tuning 4 weeks later.

Willem