Beat Cancelers was alternative temperaments

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:41:54 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

>> You know Bill,,, I am begginning to understand that this is a
>> bit more
>> important then I origionally thought some months ago when I
>> first heard you
>> talk about beat cancelling effects other then in unisons.
>

> The truth is that it is so simple as to be *mindless* and it can
> be
> duplicated and verified by an ETD but not through the smooth,
> calculated
> curve methods proposed by all of those program designers.
>
> Go for it.

Yes.. I think I share this viewpoint now. Tho ETD's can create the
eveness that is  results from this effect when well executed by ear.
But beyond that well... we are not really in the realm of what ETD's
are designed to do. We are likely in the same area as the problem
surrounding ETD's and unisons. There is something going on in the
whole envelope of sound that just cant be looked at when examining
one single partial electronically. If we are going to look in this
direction with an ETD, we simply have to look at the whole thing.
Personally I am beginning to think there is something really neat
hiding in that view... something that will shed a lot of light on
beat canceling, the "natural beat concept", and unisons... for that
matter what I was trying to explain to Don and Roger a week or so
back about unisons seeming to be "clean" in a perspective that
includes other intervals instead of just "clean" in themselves.

> You just have to make the effort to learn what I have learned to
> do by putting together the
> teachings of several of PTG's best technicians, including but not
> limited to
> Coleman, Smith and Jorgensen.

You sure do have to keep your eyes open, and be ready to learn
something new. Falling into the trap of thinking "we got that part
down already" is wayyyyy to easy... and sneaky too.  creeps up on
you sometimes without you even knowing it... grin..

Interesting stuff. I think anybody who got a real sniff of this
would get like really excited right away. Opens up a whole big door
for creativity in ones tuning...probably regardless of whether you
use ET or any particular HT.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.