measuring FAC on SAT

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:45:56 -0900 (PDT)

Hi Terry:

You were wondering why Inventronics or Coleman had not mentioned taking
the measurements of FAC without tuning the notes first.

As a matter of fact Dr. Sanderson has shown this to be more accurate and
has demonstrated this many times. The one precaution to take is that you
must eliminate the offset before doing the rollover to calculate the
tuning, otherwise the tuning will be at whatever pitch your last reset
was made. One reason the reset method of measuring the FACs is more
accurate is that we have difficulty tuning to the accuracy of .3 cents
whereas, we can measure to within .1 cents.

One other comment I'll make while I have the floor is that if one
measures the FAC numbers while the piano is 1/2 step flat, the
inharmonicities of those 3 notes will be higher.

For example, I measured the A4 stretch number of an Acrosonic spinet to be
8.2. Then I tuned the note 1/2 step flat, reset the A4 to that pitch for
its A5 reading, then measured the stretch number at A6. It became 9.1.
That is quite a difference and will give a different tuning. As a matter
of fact it will be very close to a pure 5ths Equal Temperament.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS Just last week in a post about using the old F4 single stretch number
with the SAT III, I mentioned measuring the F4 stretch number without
first tuning the F4 as long as the pitch is fairly close. To date, no
one has mentioned anything about that post which I thought in some
respects to be revolutionary. Should I post it again? Maybe it was not
considered worthy of comment. Perhaps I was too telegraphic in my
descriptions.