MirrApiano Joker Piano

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:58:28 EDT

Hi, Terry,

What a coincidence.  I just gave a chapter program on the Steinway upright,
and while I was on the subject of the cut-down mirrored upright, Ben
Hershberger remembered that the Etude magazine used to have ads for the
Mirrapiano.  Apparently someone would sell these pianos through Etude
magazine ads in the first half of the 20th century (probably 20's through
40's).

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 4/10/01 6:49:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< Got a good laugh today. Maybe our Canadian friends can help me out here.
 Tuned, etc. a 1918 Starr upright today. Top cut down. Mirror added. Starr
 name not on fallboard, but rather "MirrApiano". Inside on plate, "Starr" of
 course, but also a little 1950s style sticker that said:

          MirrApiano
   Patent-Designate #1234
       Canadian Patent
   Further Patents Pending

 So like, what the heck is this? A patented method of chopping down an old
 upright? The conversion was done with a little less hacking than
 most.......but still! And more patents pending? What is/was so unique about
 chopping down a piano? Anyone know anything about such a joke? And to put
 that name on the fallboard......talk about chopping.......how low can you
 go? Yikes!

 Terry Farrell
 Piano Tuning & Service
 Tampa, Florida >>