Bummer old upright (Starr)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:06:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/01 11:49:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:

> IMHO when you shimmed the loose pins, that spread the existing crack in the
> pin block, causing neighbor pins to become loose. You probably exacerbated

I'd agree with Joe on this one.  A much better idea would be to use thick or
medium viscosity CA glue:  Remove the pin, apply some CA glue in the hole and
a little on the pin itself and drive it back in.  It will go in easily and
for the first minute or two, it will turn very easily as if it had been
greased.  But within a few minutes, it will begin to seize up and you will be
able to tune normally.  The glue will serve to fill gaps that may be in the
pinblock.  Rather than splitting it further apart, the glue may have the
effect of repairing the weakness.

The use of shims is an outdated idea that is of questionable benefit for the
very reason Joe cited.  Before CA glues were available, Epoxies were used but
the CA glue works even better and faster.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin