ok, I give up

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:19:33 -0400

> 1) aftertouch was adjusted
> 2) hammers were aligned to the strings
> 3) the resting position of the hammers was raised and aligned
> 4) the hammers were shaped and needled
>
> Now, this is about 20% of the work that needs to be done for regulation,
> right?

No, about 1% and not in that order.

> I cannot and I repeat, cannot pay a technician to come to my house
> and do the $2000 worth of servicing required to regulate my piano.

A regulation only is about 1/3 that price.  And it could  be done in two days of
work, form A to Z.  Only a new set of hammers would bring the price up to that level.

Regulation is a very complex and detailed procedure with a minimum of 50 operation
from tightening the plate bolts, cleaning the piano, filing the hammers roughening
the backchecks to tightening the bench bolts.  It is NOT a matter of twisting screws
and there are many "piana tunas" out there who have no idea of how to approach and
finish such a job.  It is no great mystery but too many folks do not understand the
whys, wherefores and whynots of a good regulation.

Knowing more about the piano would be useful, like name, model, age, condition and
where you are located.

It takes as long to reach a performance level of regulator has it has taken you to
reach performance level player.

		Newton (a decent regulator)