Hourly rate

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 07:26:59 -0400

Friends,

I would really be interested in any response to the question below, whether anyone
raised the rates too high and then had to back off.

I have a theory.  In times past I didn't charge enough, and I think a few new clients
still call me because I had a reputation for charging a meager price.  Nowadays my
business grows mostly through referrals from satisfied clients, and I charge a
competitive rate.  But if I charged much higher than the average, I suspect I would get
a reputation for being expensive that would last many years and could hurt business,
even if I returned later to a fee closer to what others charge.  I don't want that
scenario to develop.  In this part of the country people are pretty frugal.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Clyde