Warranty dilemma

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:29:48 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/01 5:44:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<<  If this tech had kept temperature and
 humidity logs with each tuning, and this information had been reported in
 the post, we would have at least some information against which to bounce
 our random guesses. As it is, we know the house has radiators and the piano
 has loose pins. Lacking more detailed information, I consider that to be a >>

Dear Ron,
If you would have read the first three words of my post
FIRST TIME CALL you would understand why I am asking
this question in the first place. If I had been tuning this piano
for the last seven years I don't think this question would have
risen. It is always hard to know how much information is enough
and how much is too much in this forum. I basically gave the list
ALL the information I was dealt. I've been in business for thirty
years (RPT over 20) and have seen about 25,000 to pianos. I'm not
stupid. This is the first Baldwin name piano that has gone
Zip, Zilch, Nadda on me in a seven year time frame. I would
think that it might have occured before unless this was indeed
a manufacture problem. Your second reply probably confirmed
that.

Ron N writes
<< While I don't know exactly how things were/are done at
Baldwin, It seems unlikely to me that it's a manufacturing defect unless
there is absolutely no quality control during manufacturing. That's not
impossible, obviously, but how would oversized drill bits or undersized
pins get into the line? This happened at Samick a few years back, but I
understood they had changed pinblock types and just didn't adjust drilling
size to accommodate. If these pianos were originally intended to have the
high density blocks, that could be what happened here too but it seems
unlikely to me that they originally spec'd the expensive block in a small
cheap piano and switched during production. That's why we file warranty
claims and wait to see what comes back. >>

I think I will have the customer contact either Baldwin direct
or the dealer.

Thank You
Mark Ritchie RPT