lightweight pianos

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

> pedal and sustain pedal.  What do you RPTs think is
> the smallest it is possible to build such a piano?

I'll bet if NASA wanted a piano in space, they'd find a way to make a
lightweight piano. Suppose you weren't limited by money? You could make a
titanium plate. Would that be strong enough? The next heaviest thing would
be the cabinet. Lightweight plastic might work there. Any other metal
parts would also be titanium, or some lightweight material. Action parts
might be plastic.

Your idea is what led Harold Rhodes to invent the Rhodes keyboard.  He
wasn't looking for funky new sounds. He wanted a small portable piano that
could be used for entertaining wounded airmen in the military. The 73-key
models can be carried by a single person if he happens to be a
professional mover or the like, but most normal people need a handtruck to
move it around. I think most of the weight is in the wooden cabinet.

Charles Neuman