General Information

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:57:24 -0400

Dear Mr. Mechanical Engineering student:

Although the modern piano action was invented some 300 years ago, the gist
of the escapement mechanism remains the same.  Whatever changes you might
make to the structure still must bear the tension of about 235 strings at
about 200-inch pounds each.  Also, no matter what "improved" design you
might come up with, you still have to market it.  Pianos range today from
the high priced, hand crafted, well-designed pianos like Faziolli, Schimmel,
Mason and Hamlin, Steinway, Bosendorfer to piano-shaped objects manufactured
in Asia or anywhere else labor is cheap.

Although I think it might take more years than your college stint to improve
upon the piano, new ideas and people willling to undertake new concepts
should be welcome.  Most of us on this list have spent their entire careers
"optimizing" piano design and performance.

I would you suggest that you start with some experts in these fields.  Tom
and Barbara Wolf in The Plains, Virginia are experts on forte pianos.  These
were popular around the time of Beethoven and have usually faster and more
responsive actions and sweeter tones than say our modern concert pianos, but
they can't be used in modern concert halls with symphonic orchestras.  Jack
Wyatt in Texas has recreated many old piano action models and knows a LOT of
the history of piano design and manufacturing.  David Stanwood in Martha's
Vineyard has done an enormous amount of work on friction in piano actions
and has produced a very interesting new piano action.  Del Fandrich in
Oregon probably knows more about the cutting edge of soundboard and piano
design than most piano technicians.  These are just a few of the people who
come to mind.

The best way to meet some "piano people" would  be to attend the yearly
Institute, this year being in Reno Nevada in July and take all the classes
you can.  Also, get a job working with pianos, perhaps in a piano factory or
dealership.

Good luck.

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland

<That's where you guys can come into picture and help me to define what =