Tuning Stamina

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:26:13 +0200

Hallo Silvano,

I started as an apprentice for a big firm in Amsterdam.
After having spent one year in their workshop, they sent me out to tune
their clients' pianos.
On my very first day as a tuner, I was very scared that the clients would
hear that I was inexperienced, but I very soon learned that nobody really
made objections to my youthful appearance and.... inexperience (except one
older gay man, dressed in pink clothes, who kept hovering around me and the
piano, while salivating....ahem....but that doesn't count.)

That first day I tuned 5 piano's.
Tuning those 5 made me feel like I had walked through the desert for a whole
day, I was completely wiped out and finished off.

The manager at the big firm I worked for, told me that he was just a little
disappointed with the day's result, as all the other tuners working for them
always tuned 7 instruments a day (this was in the early Seventies, mind
you), and so, he pressured me into tuning at least 6 a day, and after some
weeks, it should be just like all the others....7.
As I said, I was young, inexperienced, and a good slave... so after two
weeks I managed to tune 7 pianos a day, and so on.

Now....in your case, however, there is an extenuating circumstance : I did
not have to tune soviet pianos, like you!
On the other hand, East german, Chechoslowakian, Polish, and Chinese pianos
weren't fun either.
For about 13 years I worked for several firms, doing their tuning and
repairing.
It is now 30 years later...I have tuned so many pianos....sigh....

and I still do not give up....!

I hope it helps.

Friendly greetings,

André Oorebeek