Tuning Stamina

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:46:18 -0700

I too have had bouts of serious pain with my back and shoulders.  The
best remedy that I've discovered after nearly 30 years of piano work is a
combination of proper exercise, stretching, and enough rest and
relaxation to allow weary joints to recover.  If we try to tune 4, 5, or
6 pianos every day, our bodies will let us know!  Proper posture and
occasional breaks during tuning, voicing, and other long procedures are
important, too.  I've learned a lot from physical therapists about proper
care and use of my body.  As we get older, our bodies can't be expected
to be as forgiving, and healing takes longer..so you younger technicians:
 learn the right ways to prevent injury, and stay in shape!  Protect your
ears, too!

Tom Armstrong
RPT