Soundboard Springs. Long.

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:37:28 -0500

>At 10:25 PM 04/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>About the soundboard spring idea . . .<snip>
>>Good luck to those adventurous enough to go where few have gone before.
>>Regards,
>>Del
>
>This got me thinking again...about an idea I had a few years ago.
>Instead of a spring installed at the KO (Killer Octave) how about an
>auxiliary rib.
>Jon Page

Del, Jon, List,

Thought this might be apropos:

Re: Sun Mar 17 00:03:37 1996
To: pianotech@byu.edu
From: kam544@ionet.net (Keith McGavern)
Subject: Re: 88 note pianos -Reply

Back in June 1992 Nick Gravagne, RPT and I came up with a technical name
for a device I created to eliminate a dead note sound at the tenor/treble
break in a Wurlitzer Vertical Grand.

That device exerted pressure on one of the ribs via a backpost, thereby
enhancing that dead sounding note to blend in with the rest.  We christened
the device with the honorable title "Anti-Node Dynamic Soundboard Adjuster"
(ANDSA).

And Barney Ricca, Associate Member did a technical in Dallas showing how by
experimenting with adding weights to ribs at various locations can
influence nodes and sustain.  Barney also mentioned that Del Fandrich has
done some clever work to eliminate dead spots as well.

Cheers  :-)

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731