How long does it take to tune the average Piano?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:22:20 -0400

At 01:56 PM 04/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Oh man, how did you manage that?
>That would give you like 7 seconds or something on every string. Taking away
>the time it takes to move the hammer and the mutes (~2s if you are very
>fast) would give you 5 seconds. You didnt do any checkup intervalls I
>pressume? ;)
>
>Is there any guiness worldrecord in tuning the piano?
>
>/Daniel Lindholm Stockholm / Sweden

You'd be surprised at how good a speed tuning will sound.  Some pianos
won't sound any better after three hours of tuning as opposed to this brief
encounter.

There is a world record. Steve Fairchild from Connecticut claims this. At a
seminar
he gave a demonstration of a 1/2 step pitch raise and tuning in 18 minutes.
Check
the Guinnes Book to check his record.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician