Steinway Policy.. was grafs.

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:05:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/01 5:49:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu (Conrad Hoffsommer) writes:

> Bill,
>
> At 09:38 04/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I know all too well what you are talking about.  The rebuilding questions
> >aside, the Steinway service manual's procedure for tuning is a recipe for
> >Reverse Well.
>
> I looked through my old Steinway service manual (~1980?), and all I find
> are regulation procedures, etc. - no tuning instructions.   I am curious as
> to what the NY tuning instructions are.    One of my mentors mentioned that
> he had gotten tuning advice while attending a NY factory seminar many moons
> ago.
>
> Could you give us the recipe?

It was printed in the Journal several years ago.  I know who wrote it but I
won't say because he is a friend and I respect him otherwise.  I think it was
written and printed in the early '90's.

The reason I say it is a "recipe for Reverse Well" is because it is lacking
in sufficient detail to really effect a good ET.  Some of it is simply
inaccurate.  As I recall it relied mostly on tuning 4ths and 5ths and was not
very specific about Rapidly Beating Interval checks.

Granted, a very skilled tuner can still do a good ET this way but most people
will make the error of getting 5ths too pure or even on the wide side.  This
will produce uneven 3rds, in a fast-slow-fast pattern (beginning with F3-A3),
the reverse of a good, Well-Tempered tuning.  Somewhere along the way, things
just don't quite work out but time's a wastin' and who'd know the difference
anyway?

To a person who is full of the company line of B.S., that is good enough.
It's ET if it was tuned aurally by a Steinway man, end of discussion.
Historical or other types of temperaments are not discussed *chez* Steinway
because, as everyone already knows, "No artist ever asked for that" (and
better not, either).

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin