removing plate on S&S Square

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:18:42 -0700

Willem,
The String coil, (for lack of a better term), is normal. Back then, they =
didn't use "straightened" wire. Every one of that vintage, that I have =
done, had this same phenomana(?). As to why you can't get the plate out =
is PROBABLY because the case was built AROUND the plate, to add =
stability and strength. Chickering did that a lot in the 1850-70 =
squares. Big can of worms! If you would like a detailed discourse, call =
me on a land line.
Best regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (aka "Square")
P.S. I will be discussing the foibles of Square Grand Rebuilding at =
Reno. See ya there.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 3:29 PM
  Subject: removing plate on S&S Square

  I am restringing a S&S Steinway Square grand, circa 1860. When I took =
of the=20
  bass strings, they coiled up as if they were brand new. I figured =
someone had=20
  twisted these babies several times, and that is why they still had a =
lot of=20
  coil in them. But then today I took the rest of the strings off, and =
the same=20
  thing happened The longest strings had an enormous amount of coil left =
in=20
  them. I have never seen this before, even in 1900's Steinway, or any =
other=20
  piano. Any one know why this might be?=20

  I am having a problem getting the plate out. All the screws out, but =
it seems=20
  to be stuck, especially on the right side. I did get a wood shim out =
from=20
  underneath the rim, where the plate recesses under the rim. There is =
another=20
  shim I have to try to get out. But other than that, I can't see what's =

  holding the plate down.=20

  Anyone with some helpful advice?=20

  Willem=20