EBVT tunings

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:21:28 -0500

| The EBVT with Tempered Octaves is an entirely new approach to the
tuning of
| the modern piano.  It must be studied to be learned and should be
done first
| aurally but an Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) such as the SAT can be
used to
| assist, verify and store the tuning as may be desired.
|
| Please don't try to use an FAC type program to attempt the EBVT with
tempered
| octaves, it won't work because it is not based on the same
principles.

| Bill Bremmer RPT
| Madison, Wisconsin

I have not heard of "tempered octaves" before but upon reflecting on
actual tuning practices in pitch raises going real fast, the octaves
do come out "tempered" if I have to make excuses.  And because of
various "physical conditions" yes it does serve to be a little lax on
the pure octaves dictum if certain intervals such as the 5ths through
(esp down) the octaves are wanted to be even.  However a 6:3 octave as
compared to a 4:2 octave or GASP 2:1 cannot be considered tempered
unless the ratio is off.  Its hard to explain, its kinda like the
critics saying "his rubato is off"   ....

    I will *go* with "tempered octaves" but with respect ask for
theoritical beat rates for any given temp based on pure octaves.  I
think I can take it from there. ---ric