Heavy Playing S&S C

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:18:25 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Most bang for the time is reduce the friction even more.

Spent 4 hours doing friction stuff today... dont really know what else I can do..
Polished keypins and capstans and lubed with protek. Teflon powder rubbed in the
whippen cushions and knuckles.. rep springs cleaned (they were like ok anyways)
action centers all lubed with a drop of proteck on each side... ok I got 2 drops in
on a few of them...:)

> Are you doing new hammers?   Then go for a lighter set, just two or three grams.

No.. but I am loosing about a half a gram per hammer from reshaping, and was thinking
about reducing Strike Weights by taking some wood from the tail / sides off. And I
was thinking about 2 - 3 grams total weight loss

> Without running the numbers the rest seems in the ball park.

Front weights seem a bit high... or what..? on the other hand this is a non whippen
assist spring job... no way they are gonna go for that.. too conservative and I dont
want this Steinway rep on me for anything he can come up with. (what a pain in the
patootey)

> Let us know how it comes out.
>
>                 Newton

I will Newton... I figure I can also win a bit by re-WinSliping the jack tops and a
good regulation will help a bit. Grin..... I think I finnally understand why the
action rails are what they are on Steinways.... they dont want anyone dinking around
with the spread...:) I suppose this is good enough tho... didnt look to closly at it
cus there's nothing I can do to change it anyways.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.