new Baldwin Pin Torque, was PianoTechList Comments

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 08:22:21 -0500

LIst,

Here's a possible explanation for the change seen by Tanglewood techs:

Stacy Yoak, from the Baldwin factory, was at Reno to teach a class on
re-stringing an accu-just system.  During the class, he described some
changes recently introduced in production methods to control pin torque.
The first pin holes drilled in each block are test holes, in an unused
section of the block.  Pins are installed in the test holes, torque measured
and evaluated.   Drill RPM and feed rate are adjusted, or perhaps the drill
bit is replaced, to bring the torque within tolerance.  Only then are the
"real" tuning pin holes drilled.

Stacy also told us that with orders down, and inventory up, they had begun
un-crating, re-inspecting, and touching up workmanship on unshipped pianos.

This emphasizes what others have said on this list.  As much as we might
disagree with some top level management decisions, the actual workforce
consists mainly of honest hardworking skilled people trying to put out a
quality product.  Its a shame the workforce must usually reap what the
management has sown.

Mike Spalding