safety/idiots and sharp objects

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:38:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Patrick,

Sounds like you had a "fun" time yesterday.  Hope
you don't have to repeat it anytime soon.

Yes, those beckets and string ends can be very
sharp and can easily cut and scratch and puncture
leaving us scraped or cut or bleeding.

I really don't care for the idea of trying to
save old strings.  If they were bad enough to be
replaced in the first place, why bother.  I can't
ever remember messing up a new string bad enough
that I couldn't use it.  I think the worst I did
was cut the end too short and couldn't wrap it
around the pin quite as many turns as it's
neighbor.

I am curious about one thing you mentioned,
though.  You were wanting to use gloves.  I have
never gotten along with gloves, even in cold
weather.  I've never felt like I had nearly the
control over my tools or the object I'm working
on.  During my trip to various shops and even to
the Baldwin factory, I don't recall seeing a pair
of gloves in the restringing department.  (I will
use gloves when I'm working in heavy solvents and
such, though.  I'm rather attached to having
skin!)

That being said, my wife just commented this
morning about my hands.  I've been doing more
shop work than anything else.  I've also been
doing some outside work on occasion.  And since I
seldom wear any gloves, my hands have been
getting more callous, tougher, rougher.
Honestly, I don't mind.  I kind of like the idea
that I'm not necessarily going to have blisters
every time I have to do something unexpected like
change a tire along the side of the road or saw
up some branches that fell in a wind storm, or
restring a bass section.

Rambling on, as usual...

Back to work.

Take care,