Tunebidextrous

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:57:06 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/01 4:11:01 PM Central Daylight Time, pdtek@home.com
writes:

> Well, the tendonitis in the elbow is not going to get much better anytime
> soon, and the fall tuning season is about to kick in. After 16 years of
> tuning with my left arm (though I am right handed), the best solution seems
> to be learning to tune with the other arm. I've tried it on a few notes
> during tunings lately. Its awful! Worse that starting over learning to tune
> because my standards are high but the muscle coordination is not there yet.
> Very frustrating.
>
> Has anyone switched arms berfore? Any tips? What position of the lever is
> best for right handed tuning? This indeed a humbling experience.
>
> Dave Bunch

Occasionally I will tune using my left hand, (I tune right handed), in the
last octave. The hardest part for me is not controlling the lever, but
playing the intervals.

I also had tendonitis in my elbow, (the right one). First of all, see your
doctor. He prescribed Celebrex. It has worked great. I have taken it for two
months, and there is virtually no pain any more in my elbow, or my left
middle fingers, which was also getting sore from all the pounding.

Second. I also tried tuning with my other hand. Now I can understand why new
tuners take so long. It wasn't so much a control problem, although I did have
some, it was very tiring. My muscles just couldn't keep up with what I was
trying to do. I guess I didn't realize how strong my right arm, shoulder,
wrist, etc., has become after tuning for 25 years.

I guess the only advice I can give you is to keep trying. The coordination
will come. The advantage you will have over a beginner is knowing what to do.
Now if you can only get your arm and shoulder to do it.....

Willem