Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:27:39 -0400

"The way I think of it is that I simply make the same=20
amount of money in less time with a lesser piano."

"The finer instruments take more time and it costs=20
the customer more to have them serviced."

I'm really just trying to understand various philosophies for fee =
schedules. I know many techs basically sell a service call as a specific =
amount of time for a given fee. In that situation, the piano gets =
whatever it needs most in that amount of time - High-end grand or Betsy =
Ross spinet. I certainly understand Conrad's point about diminishing =
returns on tuning effort. But if one person is getting 2 hours service =
for $X, and another is getting only 1 hour service for the same $X, that =
seems less than fair to me. The two quoted statements above appear to =
contradict one another. In the first it appears that the console owner =
is getting lesser value than Mrs. DeepPockets. In the second, it appears =
that a greater fee is being charged for a higher level of service on the =
finer instrument. Please clarify.

The following frustrates me sometimes. I am still building my business. =
I am busy, but not so busy yet to be turning away business - so, yes, I =
still tune old uprights. My tuning skills have increased steadily, and =
the time required to do a tuning has decreased steadily. I wish we could =
charge strictly by the hour.

It is now common for me to tune - lets use the easiest piano in the =
world - a good-condition Yamaha P-22 in less than an hour (I think my =
record for an easy piano is about 42 minutes).

A bad console - i.e. 1959 Sorry & Yuck than has been mistreated - will =
take longer because, even with diminishing returns, it will be slower =
because of all the wierd noises. The bad console will take me 75 minutes =
on average.

The grand usually takes about 75 to 90 minutes. The good ones - I will =
spend more time with just becuase one can do a better job on them - =
takes longer to get to that point of diminishing return. The bad ones =
are no different from the bad console - sometimes even worse because of =
their age - but I guess those horizontal strings fog my thinking and I =
try a little harder on these (sometimes) than the bad console.

The old upright. The old upright. Geeeeezzz. The old upright. Hmmm. =
First you spend 20 minutes trying to talk the owner out of doing =
anything with it. After failure at that (although I do not always =
fail!), you tune three notes - pound in a tuning pin - tune a few more - =
now you gotta stop because you have a jack flange unglued - fix that - =
bla, bla, bla, - hammers flying off - bla, bla, bla, - you know the =
picture here - even though you charge extra to fix the jack flange and =
unglued hammer butt leather, and broken hammer, etc., etc., it still =
slows you down big time. I find that old uprights will take anywhere =
from 1 to 2 hours to tune - plus the repairs.
 =20
So here I tune pianos in 45 minutes to 2 hours and charge the same thing =
(actually I do charge the same for all except $5 more for spinets and =
$10 more for old uprights). This is dictated by piano owners expecting =
one price for tuning.

The point? Just trying to understand how others work some of this out. =
Thanks.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20