Grand Storage

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:50:04 -0300

Hi,
Wasn't there a thread, a while back, that indicated a damper
problem, due to shipping on there sides. The rail moved?
There would be an uneven centre pin pressure also?
It would then indicate that to be safe, store it flat, at least=20
the action.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 6:17 PM
  Subject: Re: Grand Storage

  In a message dated 8/6/01 12:45:38 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  Bluderer@sloanandcompany.com writes:=20

    Would one then also want to remove the action prior to moving the=20
    instrument, even if it was just to be on its side for 8 hours??????? =

  Under normal conditions, no. I have had pianos sit on their side for =
over a=20
  year, with no effect on the action.=20

  As far as that goes, I am not sure if the weight of the hammers will =
bend the=20
  shanks. to the side. Under normal regulation, the hammer shanks do not =
rest=20
  on the hammer rail, and the shanks don't bend. So why would they bend =
if the=20
  action was on it's side?=20

  Willem=20