Old Upright, partial plate, Pitch?

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:49:26 -0500

List,

Today I inspected a Harrison upright with a 3/4 plate (pinblick totally =
exposed).  Owner recently deceased, a relative 100 miles away might want =
the piano if it is "tunable".  Obviously, there is the standard list of =
things to repair & regulate , and warnings about surprises during any =
"reconditioning", or following transportation.  The family member I'm =
dealing with was remarkably objective about the whole economic value vs =
sentimental value thing, thank goodness!

What about this exposed pinblock - are there unique problems and dangers =
associated with this thing?  Pitch was 100 cents low, almost uniformly =
from top to bottom (bass less, high treble more).  Can I conclude from =
this that the piano had been maintained at below 440?  Can a partial =
plate upright be safely tuned to 440 or should it be kept at, say, 435?  =
Pins appear to be original, or at least original size, #2 tip fits =
nicely, so re-pinning with oversize pins looks like a possibility.  =
Again, does the exposed pinblock create any special concerns with this =
approach?  Plate and case in good condition, no sign of cracks or =
separation in pinblock, but most pins don't have much more than the =
minimum amount of torque needed to stay at current pitch.  And, it was =
80F and 66%RH today.

thanks