SCARY plastic flanges

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:17:56 -0700

>I told her I could fix the few broken ones, but the others will
>soon likely break. I told her it would cost more than $500 to replace all
>the plastic parts and adjust everything properly. She freaked and said she
>only paid $400 for the piano. She agreed with me that it was not worth doing
>anything with it. She kinda freaked me then when she said "someone will pay
>$400 for it because it is such a nice looking piano". Ohhh geeezzzzz - she's
>gonna sell it without saying anything to the buyer!

Terry, at that point I look grave and go quiet for a minute, and then say
gently, "Of course you'll need to warn the buyer that the parts may break,
so it doesn't come back at you later." Then I point out that the case is
pretty,
and they already own the piano, and getting it fixed may be a nuisance, but
so would selling it.

I've done several of these replacements. I decided a few years ago that $500
wasn't enough. However, since these plastic-part actions were often put in
quite pretty pianos, which otherwise are all right, getting them working
probably (BARELY) justifies the price of the work. Bending the brand new
damper wires is probably the most aggravating part of the work. There is
very little clearance.

Ssnnnnnn