Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:35:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephen_airy@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 11, 2001 3:00 PM
Subject: Re:

> I was thinking based on A. where the break SHOULD be,

A:  You've still not provided enough information to give a reasonable and
considered answer. Such an answer is probably well beyond the scope of
anything that is going to be answered on pianotech anyway. At least it's
well anything I'm going to try to answer here.

> or B, based on where the break currently is on similar
> pianos (Baldwin L, 6'1" Yamaha for example) made
> within the last 5 years.

B:  Typically the bass/tenor break is somewhere around E-20/F-21 though
nowadays some manufacturers are trying to patch poor initial scaling by
running some wrapped bi-chords up into the tenor section.

The fact that these pianos may have been made in the past five years is
meaningless. Most of the initial scale design work the "modern" piano is
based on was done decades or centuries ago.

> I will soon be replying and
> telling where it is on the piano I'm talking about.

Good. Let's try doing this sooner rather than later.

Del