Small Bridge Pin Source

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 15:24:35 -0500

>Aside from the fact that the next time they hear about it will be the first
>time, just like the last time was, I doubt that the plating on Japanese
>center pins would be a problem if they were used as bridge pins. Brass is
>softer, and has a MOE half that of mild steel, so they might not be stiff
>enough for bridge pins. That was my concern. I'm not aware that I've ever
>seen steel flange center pins. Who used them?

Hi Ron,
            Samick has used some kind of steel looking metal,  a
presumption on my part.  It could be some kind of white brass alloy, but
they still plate the darn things.  Who really knows these days with all the
alloys floating around.  They seem harder to cut than traditional pins.  (
Just an observation)  Plated pins in my book is just asking for troubles
long term.
I think some of the Yamaha grands have used brass, or brass alloy bridge
pins, but they seem to be a larger diameter.
It's the friction coefficient of Phosphor Bronze, plus
galvanization/corrosion compatibility with piano wire, that has the obvious
appeal for string rendering.
With both these items, the old timers were smarter than many of todays
makers.  Time has been on their side with solid proof of durability and
function.

Roger