SCARY plastic flanges

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:18:50 -0700

Terry, I think you're right to the extent that if you
fix one plastic part, you need to fix them all. Well,
except that sometimes the plastic elbows, even after
all this time, are sometimes ALMOST all right. In fact,
if they are still sort of tough, getting them off to
replace them can be a real pain. Sometimes if there are
just one or two broken elbows, it's possible to replace
them and then wait five years before another breaks.

I only tried to fix just a few plastic parts (except
for elbows) once. Just getting to one wippen flange
broke three more, etc.

As to whether an S-2 piano is worth replacing parts ...
well, it probably depends on the market in your area,
and on the general state of preservation. Out here, they
stay in good shape except for the plastic, and they are
usually quite pretty. So, what to do? They don't look
like landfill material, but without parts they won't
play ... it's really up to the owner and the technician
to see if they can come up with a price.

Susan