Square Grand Rescale & Bass Strings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:42:19 -0400

Hi gang. I am restringing an big square grand. I will have it rescaled. I
have really liked the bass strings I have received from David Sanderson in
the past. I have restrung a couple small grands with them, and had him
rescale them also. Really sounded good for little cruddy pianos. I believe
the better quality bass strings, along with the rescaling made a significant
improvement to these pianos.

I wonder if a similar benefit will be realized on the square. Any opinions?
Will I be able to hear the difference a better set of bass strings may
provide? If noticeable improvement is not likely, I may just save my $$ and
get Brand X. Any general recommendations for overall tension on such a piano
(i.e., should it be a low or high tension scale - I can't see loading the
heck out of that flimsy floating soundboard)? Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell