Pseudo-Ivory Keytops

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:27:48 -0400

Hi Terry -

I had a set of the Vagias "Ivory " keytops put on a turn-of-the-century
Mason & Hamlin upright a few months ago.  I think they really look great,
especially compared to what the lily white keytops look like on an
instrument from this time period.   Just my opinion.  I hired the work
done by Mark Ritchie, RPT, here in Columbus.  His wife actually does the
key recovery and does very good work.  I don't know what she did to
whiten the background, but if you would like to talk to her, let me know.

I can't think of any reason why a light coat of white lacquer applied to
the tops of the keys before recovering wouldn't work.

Or tinting the glue white.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com